- On 3rd May we celebrated the Official Opening of the shed with the Mayor, Denise Knight unveiling the commemorative plaque which was designed and made by Robert Houston. The Mayor was presented with a cutting board with a replica of the plaque engraved on the underside which was also produced by Robert. About 100 guests attended including members of Council, Chamber of Commerce, business leaders and shed members. At the completion of the ceremony our own band, The Shedders, played and entertained the visitors. Well done guys! To all shed members who helped in making the day a huge success, I thank you all.
- Drummer Tony Goninan has kindly donated his drum kit to the shed. Thankyou Tony.
- On Saturday following the opening day, we opened the shed to the community to showcase what we have. A steady stream of visitors attended and a number of the men indicated their desire to become members of the shed. We currently have 172 members with the numbers growing steadily.
- For his tireless and passionate dedication to the shed, volunteer shed manager Robert Houston has been rewarded with Life Membership of the Coffs Harbour Men’s Shed. Congratulations from us all Robert.
- The grey rocking horse which has been beautifully restored by Tony and Glenn, is to be raffled to raise funds for the shed. Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5. If the previously raffled horse is any indication, the shed will benefit by a substantial amount.
- On Sunday 19th May from 9am – 12noon we have been invited to conduct a BBQ at IGA Boambee East. All profits will be retained by our shed. Volunteers will be requested closer to the date.
Mayor Denise Knight, Gurmesh Singh MP and President Ken Ryan at the Official Opening
- Membership has grown to 172 members, and we expect some more sign-ups after the recent Official Opening.
- The shed will be running a barbeque at the IGA Shops in Boambee East. Volunteers are required so put your name in at the shed or call Dave to go on to the roster. It is a shorter day with serving food between 9am to 12 noon, plus setup and pack up times.
- Storage areas on the Mezzanine level have been decided, with Room number 5 available for storage of members jobs (see floor plan). All jobs that are works in progress must be removed from the working tables unless the work will be continued the next day. Working benches must be left clear for all members access as required.
Gala Opening Preparations
Members of the "Gala Opening" Sub Committee meet every week to refine and organise details of the event.
From left to right: Ken Ryan (President), Ken Howe, Tony Winter, John Gregory (Treasurer) and Clive Longstaff.
Slideshow of Preparations
Shedders at work - cleaning, washing, shifting, claring areas, setting up displays, and finally filling the bar...
Gala Opening Press
Prime 7 and NBN TV both sent camera crews to interview Ken Ryan prior to the opening. Both aired their stories on the night of May 3rd. The Advocate sent Trevor Veale to cover the opening, as well as an article prior to the opening letting the public know of the event on Friday, and the Open Day on Saturday.
Gala Opening Video
Ken Ryan presented the Official Opening of the New Men's Shed in Howard Street.
Coffs Harbour Mayor Denise Knight did the honours of unveiling the plaque with Ken Ryan.
Full video of the day - 30 mins
Gala Opening Photos
Click on the thumb nails to enlarge the photos
News from AMSA
Last week the Federal Government launched the National Men’s Health Strategy 2020-2030 at Safety Beach Dromana Men’s Shed (VIC). The Strategy sets out a national approach to improving health outcomes for Australian men and boys, committing $19.7 million to guide action focused on those at greatest risk of poor health.
The Strategy provides a forward looking blueprint for actions on five priority health issues affecting men’s health:
- sexual and reproductive health and conditions
- mental health
- chronic conditions
- injuries and risk taking
- healthy ageing.
AMSA is pleased to advise that the Strategy specifically commits significant continued and expanded funding to support the growth and development of Men’s Sheds nationally.
Over four years, the Federal Government will invest $11.4 million to:
- grow direct funding to sheds via the National Shed Development Programme (NSDP)
- increase on-the-ground and national support for Men’s Sheds
- increase health, wellbeing & operational resources available to Men’s Sheds
Recognition of the contributions of Men’s Sheds to the improvement of health outcomes in the National Male Health Strategy further embeds Men’s Sheds into the fabric of the Australian community. We acknowledge our key health partner Healthy Male (formerly Andrology Australia) for their contributions to the development of the National Male Health Strategy, along with the Expert Advisory Group. It is with great excitement that we look to the coming decade - growing our work and supporting the Australian Men’s Shed movement to thrive.
AMSA is proud to be part of another great milestone for the funding and recognition of Men’s Sheds as a vital community asset. The AMSA team looks forward to growing our capacity to continue supporting you in what you do best.
Self Help Presentation
On April 18 Sharon Whitewood delivered a presentation to the shedders about self help techniques. Suppression of emotional events in our past can hinder our physical beings causing pain, tension and sickness. Sharon demonstrated simple techniques to 'self help'.
For more contact Sharon through her website
We have a rare opportunity In Coffs Harbour where by I am able to visit the Shed when required, to provide AEG product demonstrations and information sessions. Two years ago, Robert and David asked me if we could support the Men’s Shed when I was demonstrating AEG power tools at Bunnings Coffs Harbour. This was worked on and with the help of Techtronic Industries & Bunnings, your Shed now has many tools from the AEG, Hart and Empire ranges. Your Shed also has me as I am a local and can attend as mentioned to provide updates and product knowledge. If you require anything else please let me know.
NSW Trade Area Manager
Techtronic Industries Australia
Mobile - 0499 113 010
Customer Service - 1300 361 505
Email - email@example.com
Around the Shed
Supporters of the Coffs Harbour Men's Shed
The Coffs Harbour Community Men's Shed wishes to thank all our supporters, both large and small,
for their ongoing support and generous donations of time and money.